**AMV Contest is currently not available at the moment. Please check on this webpage for further info**
Anime Evolution’s AMV Contest is back again! This is a chance for anime fans to demonstrate their creative and technical skills, and experience the fruits of their labour shown on a big screen in front of an audience.
As there are usually more entries submitted than can be shown at the convention, all videos will go through a pre-judging process. Finalists will be announced before the convention.
All entries must meet all the general and submission rules as stated below. Entries can be submitted digitally as outlined under submission. NO SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AT THE CONVENTION.
Please take the time to read both the general and submission rules FULLY so that your entries do not get disqualified by not meeting one of the requirements. If you have any questions or concerns about any of the rules or the contest itself, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Summary of Awards
Grand Prize Winners:
Judges’ Best Overall
Audience’s Best Overall
Best Romance / Sentimental
Best Trailer / Commercial
(The “Action” category has been absorbed into the Dramatic and Upbeat categories, due to the large overlap between Action and Drama.)
Made In B.C.
This is a brand new prize. To be eligible, the editor(s) must currently reside in British Columbia, and have NOT won any prize at a previous Anime Evolution AMV contest.
- Video must be a minimum length of thirty (30) seconds and no longer then six (6) minutes to qualify. Videos over six (6) minutes may be accepted at the AMV Contest coordinator’s discretion.
- A maximum of two (2) video entries will be accepted from one individual or a group.
- All video entries must be accompanied with a completed entry form, as summarized in the submission section.
- All AMV’s submitted must be the work of the person or group as listed on the submissions form. If submitted AMV’s are found to be the works of another creator (stolen or plagiarized), the videos will be disqualified and the entrant will be banned from future Anime Evolution events.
- Videos must use at least 60% of anime content; this is defined as animation or video game content originating from Japan.
- Videos must use at least 70% of external music or songs (i.e., not part of the original audio track of the video source) with the exception of trailers that may be a combination of external dialogue and music.
- AMV’s that use footage with subtitles from fan-subtitled anime, or commercial studio logos, will not be accepted. Intentional self-created subtitles, parody logos and any other text incorporated into the video is fine. If Japanese dialogue from the original anime is included in the audio, a subtitle translation is permitted, but this should be used sparingly.
- Since the videos will be shown to a public audience at the event, all videos must be the equivalent of either G (General) PG (Parental Guidance) or 14-A (Suitable for viewing by persons 14 years of age or older). Thus, videos should not portray explicit nudity, excessive graphic violence, or foul language. Any video that does not meet these requirements will be disqualified.
- Videos must not contain credits, bumpers, or AMV studio logos.
- Previously released videos (as shown publicly at conventions, clubs and contests, or for download on the internet) must have premiered after September, 2018 to qualify.
- By submitting a completed entry form, or replying to the confirmation email, you allow Anime Evolution and the Vancouver Anime Convention Society (VACS) the right to use any entry you submit for display and/or promotional purposes.
- All decisions based on the contest rules, as made at the discretion of the AMV Contest coordinator, are final. All judging methods and decisions are final.
- Anime Evolution reserves the right to update or make changes to these rules at any time. By submitting to the contest you agree to abide by all the rules as stated.
All videos are required to be in at least a resolution of 640 x 480 and a frame rate of 23.97 or better (29.97 preferred). Audio shall be at a sampling rate of no lower then 44,100 Hz.
Preferred container and codec is mp4 with H 264, however any of the following formats are acceptable:
- avi = Uncompressed, HuffyUV, Lagarith, DivX/Xvid (no beta versions) or DV
- mkv = Matroska container is acceptable with H 264 codec (PREFERRED)
- mpg = Mpeg-2 Codec
- mp4 = H.264 video compression (PREFERRED)
- wmv = Accepted PROVIDED the video is encoded at an acceptable bit rate & resolution size at the discretion of the AMV Contest Coordinator.
Please try to limit the file size to less than 1 GB.
If you have problems sending your entry in any of the above formats, please contact us at email@example.com.
The contest coordinator reserves the right to disqualify an entry that has unacceptably poor video or audio quality.
Choose on the entry form which method you will be using to submit your entry(s). Once you have successfully submitted the form, you will get a confirmation e-mail. Once we have downloaded your entry(s), tested them and ensured they confirm to the rules, you will get a final e-mail letting you know if your entry(s) have been accepted for pre-judging.
Entries may be submitted via a direct link to Dropbox, Google Drive or a similar file-sharing site.
Videos may be accepted via upload sites (i.e.: web links, Dropbox, Rapidshare, Sendspace, etc) so long as they do not need to be “signed up” to access. Links to streaming sites such as YouTube will not be accepted. Please provide the URL link in the space provided below.